Wednesday, October 8, 2008

86 Days Later....

So, wow.  I've been meaning to write for some time now....not so much for anything else than to get all that I've been thinking down on SOMETHING and journals..well journals just seem so 1985...but what to write..where to start...these past 86 days..well my whole life changed.  I walked into a building in a city, THE CITY,  as one person and walked out an entirely new person altogether.  It's an odd sensation to feel your life moving in a direction you never wanted, never dreamed, never fathomed, but you can't stop it..you can't do anything about it but just move...just keep moving..it really has been for me like watching a movie, watching someone else's life unfold..except for the fact that it's my life..this is my reality and some days that reality is easier to wrap my heart around than others.  

If you think I'm going to sit here 86 days later and say it's gotten easier with time...you will be disappointed, because this is just not the case.  I suppose one thing I've gotten better with (to some extent) is being honest, saying exactly what I mean to say, because I think we all have much to gain by being real, by being honest and by throwing it all out on the line...even if in doing so we may feel more stretched, possibly more uncomfortable..but in real love and real truth I believe we find something more powerful than what we ever could have anticipated..and these are the types of interactions I now desire, and seek amongst the ones I hold dear.

So how am I, that's a tough question to answer?  I think of her CONSTANTLY, her infectious laugh, her humor, her beauty, her smell...I put on a sweater that hadn't been washed the other day and Katie was the last person to have worn it...her scent was all over it..and while this was such a gift it was also something I was not ready for and I nearly fell to the ground in an instant... I miss her voice both speaking and singing my goodness BOTH were not of this world, so delicate, wraspy, airy, just plain unique and beautiful.  The way she made our children laugh, or me she never took herself too seriously..how perfectly she loved, how much she loved LOVE,  her energy and zest for life, nothing was wasted on her--and why her..why us -- we would not have wasted this life together not a moment we LOVED loving one another and I just can't figure it out, but even all the answers to all the questions I have would make missing her less piercing to my soul.  This is a person I never grew tired of in life, and even in death she's always there...always in the background...which makes for an almost cloudiness in my daily routine..I find now I have a terrible memory...I tell people the same thing 2 or 3 times..whole conversations...I misplace things everyday...my keys, my cell phone, my debit card...luckily I've not misplaced either of the children..yet... 

This is such a crazy thing to maneuver, this life now.  Sometimes it feels as if some quality about everything in life is lost -- the world is a little duller, less vibrant, less colorful..but I accept this suffering and and I am suffering in it -- not one to run and hide under some rock or put my head in the sand, but rather to be one who runs head first embracing each emotion felt during this time (for which they are all over the board).  Trying to learn, and feel, and question and most importantly to evolve and become better to change who I am at the core of my person.  

All the while my interactions with others...some of my closest friends have retreated into themselves...not communicating at all..and this is fascinating to me.. something I could have never predicted..while others the ones who were always in the background have just stepped up to be these remarkable people..who if asked will carry me at any moment of any hour..and who challenge me with being so honest about their own feelings and anger and grief.  This thing called grief..my how I have found it to be so intriguing..I never invited it into my life..never dreamed it would befall me and my family but it is and has and I am still trying to piece it all together.  I'm nearly finished reading a book by C.S. Lewis called "A Grief Observed" (thank you Robbie and Dana) to which he says "only torture will bring out the truth only under torture does one discover it for themselves" and so me and my tortured self we press on trying to find the truth in ways I never dreamed I would understand it.  

Don't get me wrong don't miss what I said earlier...I press on.  I still live..If anything this has led me to want more for my life..to not accept mediocrity in any form..so IN GRIEF even in grief I am inspired and moved and I get up each day yearning to learn and to be changed because who knows when my own time could be up.  And so it is.  

I'd say that's enough for my first blogging experience...I look forward to pouring out more words in the near future..in the meantime I'll keep moving forward..







10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there chica. I'd say that was a pretty good attempt at RTV. Remember when I said I was sad not to have known her better, and yet felt as if I knew her well? I look forward to the days to come - knowing her better through you and your words and your love...her zest for life lives on...

S.

sapphic_mac said...

Karen,

I have followed your story through Katie's over the past couple of years. If you were shooting for RTV, you did it well, sister. I feel your grief. No, not the same way as you, of course, but as someone who has experienced loss, your words connected with me at the core. Thank you for sharing yourself here. As parents, we know we can't completely come apart, even in those moments when our hearts beg to do exactly that. You are not alone. We grieve with you. We will heal with you. Keep it RTV, my friend.

NANC:) said...

Karen,

I think you are working towards your Phd (Pressing, healing, direction)in RTV. How your words stir the soul -- so heartfelt and so moving. I think it's the best blog you've ever written;) I'm looking forward to your next chapter. I think of you and the boys every day.

Nanc:)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing. We are constantly wondering/thinking about you and your family. I am subcribing to your blog right away so I don't miss a thing.

Anonymous said...

Karen ~

I don't know who can relate but honestly I think I'm terrified of the acknowledgment of your loss, your family's loss... the world's loss. I think about you guys every day and wonder if it's ever going to be approrpiate to show my grief when it's so incredibly pale in comparison. It's as if I have no right to it. I wonder if maybe your closest friends bear that perspective in silence... I can't say. But as a friend who is crawling out of the woodwork, let me just say that DC isn't that far from you and I would drop everything to visit with you and the boys.

I was at a wedding today and immediately thought of your wedding. And I told a few stories to my fiance, Amy. It just started "flowing" a bit and by the end of the afternoon, I laughed until I cried... and then cried until I laughed.

Maybe that is the best thing we can do with our whole lives.

Blog away, friend...
~ Gail

Jaylene said...

Nobody can't tell me that there isn't a higher power in our life. I think seeing you today after my thoughtful night last night was proof. How unexpected and how amazing in the same. Talk with you soon! :)

achilles3 said...

Yo Karen.
It's achilles via seoul korea.
I emailed Katie in July and she got back to me soon after. It's one of my most treasured emails...can I even say that???
wow technology.
I digress...
When my mother passed almost three years ago I found that being honest was the exact thing that kept me sane...and my memory sharp.
Keep writing.
Keep spilling.
Keep smiling.
All the best.

Dewey said...

Karen~

WOW! Yet again, you move me with your words. You and the boys are loved EVERYWHERE in this beautiful world of ours. No matter where you are, whether a small town or a big city, there will be someone that knows your families story and will be ready and excited to meet you personally to give you a home cooked meal, fresh conversations and another step in healing. That is, based of course, if you want it! My door is always open for you here in c-bus!

My 8 yr old niece (living in a very rural PA town) is now completely involved in Katies music. She has asked me for her own iPod so she can enjoy her more. You know me, thats exactly what she is getting for Christmas and it will be fully loaded with every single KRB recording and then some ;-)

Katie is, and forever will be, singing to new ears and inspiring many.

All my love to you, L~

Janet said...

You might enjoy a book called "37 Days" by Patti Digh...I have to say it's an amazing book and she has a blog by the same name.

It's inspired and may it inspire you -- the pain we move through all the way to the other side.

peace-
janet

Donna said...

My Dear Karen,
I applaud you. That you never want to find yourself in a place where you're "complacent, too comfortable, too at ease", that you know these places "stunt your growth and curb your own potential" that you are willing to "step out in faith,taking great risks, challenging yourself & purposefully making yourself uncomfortable", acknowledging, in these moments, in this place is where one grows as a person learns the lessons most...
you are a Spiritual Warrior.
Those who want to sail through life unchallenged, complacent will find a very dull life.
As I said before, I will keep Katie's memory alive through music. I will carry her torch and sing her songs with great honor.
Have fun on your journey. How exciting.
Donna Mogavero