Sunday, February 22, 2009

Nearly 2 Weeks?!


Wow time flies when you're traveling a ton!  I can not believe it has been nearly two weeks since I last posted anything!  So geesh we've done lots of moving since I last wrote...we camped in Key West for a couple of nights picture at left.  I have only camped with Aiden NEVER with Koen and NEVER alone...so to say I was worried is a HUGE understatement.  In true Aiden and Koen fashion they exceeded my expectations as they love LOVED camping.  No issues, any potential crisis I had anticipated were averted.  PHEW.  It was great to enjoy the sites of beautiful Key West.  Somewhat bitter sweet as Katie and I took our Honeymoon here over 5 years ago.  It was more bizarre than painful for me to be there in this fashion and I don't know if I can clearly explain it.   I think maybe I was just stunned to be back here knowing the dreams we had once spoken about in these places had only partially come true.  It allowed me some interesting reflection and at times made angry but Key West is so beautiful and wildly creative I found the anger dissipate as I walked about.  Interesting for me to say the least. 

We then moved on to Miami, but before that stopped by the everglades which was a fascinating thing to see.  The wildlife in this part of the country is just spectacular and vast.  Most interesting for the boys and me were all the alligators roaming about...even some right on the trail less than a foot away.  Nothing like seeing wildlife thrive in it's natural environment...what a pleasure.  

While on this trip I've resounded to stretch myself in many different ways.  I desire to meet people of all walks of life who really know how to live...just really get it...more importantly for me, people who have found themselves faced with adverse situations and really risen above.  I was blessed to be able to stay with a family who are friends with my friend Robert.  I have never spoken to them before (which was a stretch for me), but after having stayed with them for just 24 hours I left feeling SO enriched I learned so much being in their midst.  This family has a 12 year old son who is autistic, he does not speak but he does not need to...to be in his presence was spectacular.  I loved watching my children interact with him to learn about something different and embrace it instead of fear it.   I myself just watched him and learned... joy literally pouring out of him, when he was happy you knew...leaping in a beautiful way, yelling out with no pretense of what is the appropriate volume he was the epitomy of someone who is real, transparent, and vulnerable.  More impressive are his parents, there just are not words that can describe people of this calibre.  They are huge advocates for autism, speaking at conferences helping others come to grips and embrace this life.  They embrace, love and learn from their son in incredible ways.  I think what I will remember the most is a conversation we had where I was speaking of how much I struggled with strangers staring at Katie as she was frail and broken physically.  I often found myself trying to catch the eye of every person that walked by so they would know I was watching them...in my mind it prevented them from looking at her, it was my way to protect her, but it was maddening for me.  I was telling this story to someone who is all too familiar with the glances of wonder from strangers everywhere she goes.  Her response was, I am so lucky and blessed that everyday, everywhere I go I get to see people (if even for 30 seconds) remember how fortunate they are with what they have in life.  She was so blessed by the stares of strangers and I found my own perspective shift.  Geesh...I could go on and on for hours about the amazing attitude of this family I just have to say I was changed and blessed to have crossed paths with such quality people.  If everyone in the world had this type of outlook we could move mountains!

So the great adventure moved forward, I was lucky enough to spend a day with an old co-worker and his beautiful family in Coral Springs, it was great to just sit back as our children entertained one another...I needed that break from the craziness of parenting.  We then pressed on to St. Petersburg where we spent a couple of days with my friends Stuart and Troy.  I must say if my boys turn out to be even 1/2 as loving and compassionate as these two I will have done something right by the world...it was great to spend time together and really get to know one another better.  It seems each place we go I just fall in love with everyone we stay with more and more.  I am just amazed by the kindness, the hospitality, the love that people shower on us.  It is amazing, I am grateful beyond words.  FINALLY we've spent the last couple of days in Panama City Beach just relaxing and enjoying the sights.  We will leave Florida tomorrow morning en route to New Orleans.  I am excited to move on to places of this great country I have never laid eyes on before.  Good things to come, we continually grow as we challenge ourselves on this journey.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so sad when your minivan pulled away. You and the kids really grew on me. I especially miss my little buddy sitting next to me and overseeing my work on my laptop.

achilles3 said...

Great post. Your thankfulness is a treasure to read.

Anonymous said...

STRENGTH,LOVE,COMPASSION