Tuesday, November 25, 2008

All I want to do is live my life more honestly!

Funny, I just typed up an email to my friend..and thought..hmmmm everything I just said here is exactly something I would've liked to blog about...so here is the exact email:

WOW I've been so darn busy at work!! Yikes sorry I haven't responded to you in ages..it's not you it's me :D how cliché...

So what's up..any good developments in your life lately...how are you growing how are you changing...I only ask because someone asked me that last night...and 1. I valued the question immensely (I have the coolest people in my life) and 2. it was still on my mind this morning...stuck with me....my answer is well crap what is not changing in my life..EVERYTHING is...constantly perpetually changing..thank heavens for that!! As well...It's ironic I find myself preparing to move away from Jersey..a place that has been so difficult to live in..because of circumstances..not because of location or people..and I've been here for 2 years almost..and it seems that only recently have I started to establish my life here..as far as building relationships with people. So I'm building into these people..and being moved and changed and inspired by them..and I truly find that I love them..and now I'm leaving..it's odd...makes it hard for me to leave this place that was so unkind to us. What is EVEN more odd is that 2 of these people that I've built friendships with never even knew Katie...they didn't know "Katie and Karen"..the tag that has been mine for all of my adult life...and so is is interesting trying to meander this life now allowing people to develop a new tag for me..and I expect that with all the traveling we'll be doing this upcoming year this is going to be a regular occurrence...what a strange thing. She was such a safety net for me..I was able to hide (sort of) behind her HUGE personality..and let her break the ice..let her do the "uncomfortable" stuff...and then I could easily just come in and pick up..once it was easy..and now..I've lost my net..and I'm being pushed and challenged to step out of myself..and that's hard too! AHH but those are the ways I'm growing and changing.

I've also been packing and purging and deciding what to keep and what to get rid of...and wowee is this ever a CRAZY task...what I realize is we had WAY more than what we ever needed...and it's just annoying....I NEVER in my life want to find myself having as much stuff (dare I say junk) cluttering up my house again...GOOD lesson to learn in your younger years...wish I had learned it in my EVEN younger years..hope to pass it along to the boys...experiences not things experiences not things experiences not things!!!

SO...I think I realized that I just wrote and wrote and wrote....sorry if I've overwhelmed you with my thoughts...I think I actually may just copy and paste this entire email as a blog..hope you're cool with that!!

Have a fantastic Thanksgiving!! Hope you feel like you have lots to be Thankful for!!!

peace

kr

Thanks to my friend for allowing me to share this..even though I didn't wait for your permission :D

12 comments:

Andy said...

I can't tell you how excited I am for you to depart for your adventure! Thanks for being willing to share as you process, struggle, heal, and live. I love it! I can't wait to see where the next year will take you and the boys!

achilles3 said...

New tag...Karen and the Boys;-)

I'm thankful for that killer pearl of wisdom with the poetic ring you shared with us:

"experiences not things
experiences not things
experiences not things!!!"

TOTALLY LOVE THAT!

Take care, Karen ;-)

Unknown said...

"Experiences not things."

That statement rang a bell for me. I wrote a blog post about it in 2004.

I just have to make myself remember it!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lauren said...

"I'm being pushed and challenged to step out of myself..and that's hard too! AHH but those are the ways I'm growing and changing."

I love this. I'm so excited to see where the next year takes you. I mention that to people ALL the time. Thanks for the post and helping me to step back and pay attention to what ways i might be growing and changing too ;). That's the fun part of life. See you sometime soon!!

Don said...

Dearest Karen,

I just discovered your blog and am so glad I did! I think of you often and sincerely pray that you and the boys are making steps forward through your grief.

I've added this blog to the "blogs I follow" tab on my own blog: www.donaturel.blogspot.com. I look forward to regular updates!

Jennie said...

Dear Karen,
Thank you for your piercing honesty as you share your journey. Like so many others, I was a "fan" of Katie's for many years, and I miss her immensely. I only met you once(at Taste of Cincinnati) and was moved by the obvious love btw. thtwo of you-what a team! I wish you blessings as you move forward-you, Aiden,and Koen are in my prayers.
Jennie Gibbons

Unknown said...

Karen,
A friends just sent me your blog! thank you for your honesty, and love! If you need a place to stay in Fort Lauderdale, you got it!

Anonymous said...

Karen,
I am amazed and envious at your strength, attitude and honest review of what you are going through. It's been way too long since I talked to you, but I find you and your family crossing my mind often. Take care. Sincerely warm wishes from Columbus.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Katie was such an inspiration and so are you!!! What a wonderful way to honor Katie and the dreams you shared. Live every minute to the fullest!! You're right - the minutes just pass by so quickly when you're sitting in an office dealing with the same old crap every day!!

Isn't it amazing that God gave you those two precious boys just when you needed them most!!

If you can, while all the memories are bombarding you, please write every single one of them down, large and small. Many years in the future your boys will appreciate so much the "book" you've written for them describing the love, the laughter and the heartache shared by their moms.

Please keep us posted on your new adventures!!

The Token Liberal said...

A couple weeks ago, I bookmarked the Myspace blog that lead to here, but never got around to looking.

Now, I'm sorry I took as long as I did.

Huge, HUGE kudos to you for motivating yourself and going off to see the country. I'm not sure how I would handle things, were I in your shoes... but I'm sure it'd be with nowhere near the grace and energy you're doing it. ;)

Keep us up-to-date on what's going on!

MB said...

Your strength amazes me. It's about the journey not the destination! Keep your head up and soak in life!

shell said...

Its funny how 2 personalities can complement each other. I tend to be loud and boisterous and my husband tends to be quiet and reserved, sits back and watches all the action. Every now and then he will throw something out and it will send me rolling. My personality needs his to keep mine in check.