Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Refining and Becoming

I must admit, I've had a hard couple of days. Lately I've felt so heavy with grief I can just not get my head or more specifically my heart ahead of it. I think, as ironic as it may sound, Halloween was the trigger. It was a holiday Katie truly enjoyed..it was so fitting to her crazy, zany personality. She recalled being young, how her dad would play spooky music and was "the scary" house on the street. She wanted so badly for our own home, in Ohio, to be this same place. She downloaded the scariest music she could find, brought her ENORMOUS sound system to the front porch and took to the mic...NOT in her usual manner but rather she would drudge up the scariest voice she could find to lure children to our front porch. What is HYSTERICAL about all of this is that after our first Halloween on S. Huron we realized our street was not visited by ANYONE. LUCKY for us our friend lived on THE most visited street in the neighborhood, so Katie quickly set up shop there....EVEN better there were bushes to hide in and SHAKE at this house, so Katie had found her Halloween calling. Many children were scared, and that pleased Kate to no end, it is a memory that even today makes me laugh as I recall her antics.

We moved away to New Jersey shortly after Halloween 2006, and soon thereafter this disease reared it's ugly head. We faced many MANY trials from May - October in 2007. Katie completed 7 1/2 weeks of radiationt treatment at the end of September, and by mid October was feeling better than she had in some time. We chalked it up to being no short of a miracle, and praised God daily as her strength returned at an amazing pace. The picture above is our family during Halloween last year. As I stare at this photo I feel so much. Tears, well up in my eyes, and sometimes just won't quit. I am in awe at what a difference a year can make. This time last year was so filled with promise, and hope, and we were strong. Katie was getting better everyday, and while I CHERISH (beyond belief) the months of good health we had throughout all of the holiday's last year, I can't believe the contrast of where I find myself this year, and this picture above simply digs that dagger of sorrow in a little further.

I had a fantastic time trick or treating with our son Aiden this year, he was marvelous, what a perfect age. I found a street just a few short blocks away where every house put up amazing decorations and everyone in each family was dressed up and participating with as much excitement and eagerness as Katie would have. It was bitter but it too was sweet, she would've loved every moment of it all and I thought of her the entire way.

I don't write all of this to be a downer or to make anyone feel uncomfortable. There are no words of comfort when you feel at your lowest...there just aren't. For me, what has proven to help the most is just writing, just venting, just having the freedom to throw it all out there and say "take if for what it's worth", there's no one I'm trying to impress, no one I'm afraid to offend or upset. The BEST tid-bit of advice I have receivd thus far was this:

Take care of yourself
No one can feel your pain so don’t worry about them.
Just do whatever, spend whatever, and go wherever you want.
Never mind what people think.

*thank you Kerri-Lynne

I know I am in the process of being refined, of "becoming" and while it BURNS and it hurts, and I wish for the brighter days, I do know they will come..there will be a time..it is just not yet...and the holidays well they only seem to make the pain worse...but my head is up, my feet are on the ground, and the boys and I we just keep marching on!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss, and that we never met. I worked briefly with Katie at the Girls Rhythm and Rock Camp. And two years ago yesterday she played a show on my birthday in Columbus. One of the best I've had, but it was the last chance I had to see her. So I guess this time of year reminds me of her too, and what an inspiration she was in the few moments I got to spend with her. I hope that inspiration carries on in your life, and that you find your way through this as powerfully as you are able.

luvjc5 said...

I am sorry for your loss, but I know words cannot truly do justice.... I cannot say I know what you are going through, but I am certain it is not an easy road.

I used to go to a lot of Katie's concerts when she would play at York St. Cafe. Probably her early years. After she went away to college, I lost track of her music scene as far as concerts go, but I still checked out her web page to see what was up.

At some pt. I found out she was not doing well, and I kept track of how she was doing through the mypsace stuff. It seemed she was getting better, and I too was praising God for that..... so, it came as a complete shock to me when I got the news from Lauren who runs 500k site that she had passed.

I remember the day vividly... I was sitting in the preschool classroom at nap time. The kiddies were sleeping and I was checking email. I got that email and just sat there, staring at the screen. I scrolled back up to read and re-read several times.... No, it can't be.... NO!!!

I didn't even personally know Katie, just went to her concerts, saw her for freebie a few times at my church VCC in Cincy, and knew of her bro Robbie who used to lead worship at VCC.... but it still hit me like a ton of bricks.... wrestling with a ton of questions.... why she wasn't healed, why this happened, etc. etc.

I knew in an instant I had to go to her service, and it was great to open up with her fave worship songs and turning back up to the Lord, the video of her silliness was great and then hearing that her last days she was counting her blessings.

And Now you are on a journey, one that granted you never planned for, but nontheless, you are on it. What will all come out of it, we don't know, but one thing, we know God goes with us... and so I am praying that you feel His Presence, NOW more than ever...

It's okay to still feel as you feel.... after my friend's mom died, it took a long time, and there were always reminders of her, and sometimes still are.... that is great that you are keeping her memory alive though and are aspiring to live a RTV life as she did! She was full of energy, a bubbly gal who did put zest into life... just at her concerts, she was so catching so.... I dunno the words.... anyway, praying peace for you and the boys.... keep hanging tightly to God through these times....

Emily :-) <><

Janet said...

That's the only way to the other side to go all the way through the pain, sadness and all that comes with loss of such devastating proportions.

I only learned of Katie's music through Melissa Ferrick - it's fantastic and she sings on.

peace-
janet

Kara said...

Hey there- I'm a fan of Katie's from Cincinnati & now a fan of YOURS. Take care of yourself, there's a lot of us out there who have never met you & the boys but who care & are thinking about you.

Anne B. said...

Last Halloween... I remember that night so well -- will never forget it...

I'm pained that you're leaving b/c, well, I'll miss you guys big time but thrilled that you're leaving heading towards this once-in-a-lifetime, amazing opportunity to grow (into) your life... and heal (we pray) along the way. If you're ever back in NJ you'll always have a place to stay. Be safe... be free... and keep writing!

Robin said...

Hey Karen. Ohhhh I so didn't plan on crying today....but I am and that's ok. I was telling a co-worker at my new job I started a coupld of weeks ago, about Katie. I had her visit 500k. She was sad to hear about what happened to Katie. So I came home, going over in my head all the things I knew about Katie. Trying to remember when I first heard her sing, buying my first cd of hers, eventually booking her 4 times in Indianapolis, which included her last show on February 23, 2007. I had such hope then. I really didn't think that would be the last time I'd see her.

I'm still angry...at who or what I don't know. I know what I have felt and all the emotions and questions I've had since July 14th, 2008 is NOTHING compared to yours. If I find myself sad or struggling, I'm reminded your pain is ten-fold.

This year, I have experienced more loss than I can handle sometimes. My cat of 14 years, was put to sleep in March. I'd had my Cicely since she was 9 weeks old. A couple of weeks later, my life long friend since 3rd grade, passed away. She'd had ongoing health issues for years. Her birthday is November 4th, and I've been having dreams about her. Then Katie passing in July. It was all more than I could handle. Things have gotten better, but many thoughts and emotions over these significant losses in my life are always there, just some days are harder than others.

So, we all need to lean on each other. Spill our guts out I guess and be sure to cherish each moment you have with those who mean so much.

Ok..I've rambled on enough..heck it's your blog, maybe I need to start one of my own :-)

Oh and on your tour of America, please feel free to come to Indianapolis !! We have the worlds best Childrens Museum !! I'd love to see you and the boys.

Take care, much love
Robin